In June, we visited Belgrade, Serbia and experimented with 360° photography. This is a photo of the Krypta of the Temple. The main church space wasn’t finished yet, except for the mosaic in the rotunda. Christian also made a 360° image. It always looks funny when people using their phone to create these image. They are highly focused to chase down every blue dot in their camera, so the Pixel camera can stick together these immersive experiences.[Read more…] about 360° Tour Krypta in the Temple de Saint Sava, Belgrade, Serbia
A moral panic is a widespread fear, most often an irrational one, that someone or something is a threat to the values, safety, and interests of a community or society at large. Typically, a moral panic is perpetuated by news media, fueled by politicians, and often results in the passage of new laws or policies that target the source of the panic. In this way, moral panic can foster increased social control.Ashely Crossman’s definition of moral panic
Jeff Jarvis quoted above definition in his Atlantic essay:
Platforms Are Not Publishers
The essential value of the internet is conversation, not content—and journalists need to embrace it.
On the make community blog a discussion flared up which reminded me of discussions we had about 22 years ago around free speech and censorship and Nazis. And the start of ShoahProject.net. And who can and who can’t sponsor a WordCamp
This morning, I went to a workshop at the local Unitarian Universalist Congregation on how to be a better white ally in the fight against racism. The workshop was help by the renown facilitator Dr. David W. Campt, who just publish the White Ally Toolkit Workbook.
55% of white people feel that racism against white is as big of a problem as against POC. Only 19% say they have faced racism themselves.Dr. David W. Campt
WGCU published an interview with Dr. Campt prior of his workshops. You can listen to it on their website.
You are not going to move people with facts, no matter how well you state them.
What leads toward effective encounters?
- Trying to find a point of mutual agreement
- Telling them about your experience
- Asking about values or experiences underneath their point view
- Expressing that you used to feel like they do
- Having them do thought experiments about life in different skin
- Focusing on goals you support instead of realities you oppose
- Talk about your prejudices
Strategies that focus on your own thoughts
- Conceive of the person as a vulnerable child
- Remind yourself That the listening process you are doing is part of a long-term, change process.
- Remind yourself of qualities you like about the skeptic
- Think back to a time when you very much wanted to be listen to
- Think about things you have in common with the skeptic
- Think about helpful values you hold, like empathi, curiosity and / or patience
Strategies that focus on the mind-boy connection
- Get centered by taking deep breaths
- Imagine that there is a drop of superglue keeping your lips together
- Look directly into their eyes
- Touching your tongue to the roof of your mouth
- Shifting your position to one that maximizes your relaxation
- Looking directly at their lips (or forehead)
Strategies that focus on the content of the exchange
- Remind yourself that just because you listen empathetically to a point of view does not mean that you agree with it.
- Tell yourself to listen for experiences that may be similar to ones you have had
- Get ready to listen for potential opening for future conversations
- Remind yourself to listen for the underlying needs that are behind statements you will hear
- Get ready to notice things you can agree on.
About an hour into the workshop, I realized some of these strategies might also prepare you for the work as an empathetic support person on the Gutenberg plugin forum…
Interesting videos that helped me understand a few more things.[Read more…] about Civil Liberties
You can use your own place or your rent space.
You can use a professional or you use someone who know how to assemble things in Wix
You can use a free hosting or a professional hosting.
The choice is yours.
Does your customer care? Do you care?
An example of business who switch from a WordPress site to a Wix site.
It attributes the post to http://saraelizabethgordo.wix.com/ who is the owner of the site. Seems the domain name is only masked.
Below are my photos of the Cesar Chavez Memorial Sculpture I passed by every morning and evening while staying in Austin Texas for the 2015 Nonprofit Technology Conference. I admit my knowledge about 20th Century History in USA is very fragmented. I came across the name Cesar Chavez just recently after watching the movie Food Chains which linked the current struggle of Immokalee’s Farm Workers to the California Labor Movement of farmworkers of the 60ties, lead by Cesar Chavez.
Shortly after returning from Austin, I watch on Amazon Prime the movie Cesar Chavez.
Trailers of both movies are embedded below the photo gallery.
Cesar Chavez – History is made one step at a time
Food Chains – The Revolution in America’s Fields
Tomorrow, March 31st is Cesar Chavez Day in United States.